Monday, November 21, 2011

how do you connect with god?

sometimes i find myself kinda irritable, short, easily upset, etc...in short, i'm crabby.  i'm learning to be okay with my crabbiness, not try to just change it, or beat myself up over it.  it is what it is.  i can thank my counselor for that little bit of wisdom.  

for me, there's a lot that causes my crabbiness but typically it boils down to me feeling one (or more) of these three i's: incompetence, impotence, or insignificance (thanks jason martinkus).  when i'm feeling one of those, i get crabby.  or worse, i act out.  i'll explain more about those sometime soon.    

but anyways, the point of this blog...how do you connect with god??  because, honestly, and i'm not just trying to jesus juke you here, when i'm feeling crabby i often just need to slow down and connect with god.  many of us have been taught we need to pray and read our bible to connect with god.  while that's a great starting point, it's not the only way...or, if i'm honest, not the best way (for me anyways).

most of the time, i best connect to god through music.  you know how sometimes you hear a song that can just instantly bring you back to a time, place, feeling?  that's what certain music does with my relationship with god, it's an instant connection of sorts.  and most times it brings me out of my crabbiness and helps me feel: competent, powerful, and significant (the opposite of the three i's).  

one of my pastors shared this link with me and it helped me understand how i best connect with god.  it's not the end-all-be-all but it's a great way to consider how you best connect with god.  it's 45 questions.  i pray it helps you discover how you best connect with your creator.  

http://goo.gl/yp7wS

ml.  

7 comments:

  1. Perfect timing. Thanks for sharing. Coincidence? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good stuff. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post... helpful info and great reminder to make that time to connect with God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Fun crab fact: Males grow one larger claw. It’s purpose is to impress female crabs rather than for attack or defense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Dan! I can totally relate. When I am in an irritable state it almost always comes back to the fact that I've become disconnected with God. Thanks for posting that survey too. Keep on writing brother, I think you have a lot to write about!

    -Kelsey Romshek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesus-juke... nice.

    ReplyDelete